Configure Stats

2012-02-09

Guest editor critque session

http://vimeo.com/36521732

     The above link is my latest video of my grad film project. It is protected by my old password again. For this week we have guest editor Chritine Stewart visiting our class and provided insightful critiques. Chritstine viewed my work (the above link) and said apparently there are a lot of themes in this complex story. It has comments on classes, polictics, culture differences, races, and youth. Fluid is one obvious visual motif to pick up, like scenes with rainining and pouring tea. And my drawings have the painterly, liquidy look, which goes with the motif. Christine recommanded me to use this motif more for editing.

     She also suggested me to consider carve out certain parts of the story to strength the whole. Scenes with food and rain seemed to work typically well for the story. She asked questions about the dinner scene happened in Larry's family and asked me why I wanted to show the speech of both Larry and Lily. She also recommanded to consider show certain compassion from Larry, instead of depicting him as a flat character, so that Larry's friendship with Ethan can be indicated more clearly. Christine said one thing that was really important to me. She pointed out that the audience would only care about the later struggle between Ethan and Larry, if I show their friendship, otherwise the audience would not care about their fight at all. This is one aspect I have never thought about. I think I may do someting with the dinner scene for this week to make the story stronger. Christine also suggested that every cut must have a clear aim and it must make clear sense to me in the first place. I may need to arrange a further meeting with her when I came up with a more refined version of the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment